Tunnel Mobile Karaoke (TMK) is a project created by artist Jevijoe Vitug, 2019 Create Change Artist-in-Residence. The project honors and celebrates the unseen and unnoticed labor of immigrants of color in the United States through a series of karaoke-style music events. As part of a collaboration with home residency, Jevijoe will host karaoke jam sessions with Harlem residents and passersby, on neighborhood blocks and in community spaces, and encourage participants to sing songs in their mother tongues. Begun in East Harlem, TMK is inspired by “The King of Latin Soul” Joe Bataan, the son of a Filipino immigrant father and an African American mother, who used the tunnel underpasses of East Harlem as “echo chambers” to rehearse and perform his songs. Jevijoe’s wish for the project is to spark conversation and celebration of immigrant histories in Harlem and beyond. Alongside live programs, guests are invited to visit an open studio of the TMK project archive at home residency.
OPENING RECEPTION & OPEN STUDIO
- Reception: Wednesday 11/20, 7:30pm–10:00pm
- Open Studio: Thursday 11/21–Wednesday 11/27, 10:00am–6:00pm
Location: home residency, 2 West 120th St, SW corner of 120th Street & Fifth Avenue. Please RSVP by emailing [email protected] to attend the reception and arrange studio visits. Building is wheelchair accessible.
All programs are free and drop-in. All buildings and grounds are wheelchair accessible.
TUESDAY 11/19, 6:00pm–7:00pm
- Karaoke with Jackie Robinson Community
- Location: Meet at Jackie Robinson Recreation Center entrance, 85 Bradhurst Avenue
WEDNESDAY 11/20, 5:30pm–7:00pm
- Karaoke with Uptown Grand Central Wellness Wednesdays
- Location: SW corner of 125th St & Park Ave, by Harlem-125th Street Metro North station
Uptown Grand Central is a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to transforming East 125th Street into a thriving corridor by delivering programs that put advocacy into action through collaborations with businesses, residents and neighborhood organizations across East Harlem.
TUESDAY 11/26, 6:00pm–8:00pm
- Karaoke and screening of Maureen Catbagan’s “Joe Bataan Fan” with Sisters Uptown Bookstore
- Location: 1942 Amsterdam Ave, NW corner of 156th Street & Amsterdam Avenue
Sisters Uptown Bookstore is an Indie bookshop and community hub spotlighting a range or titles and events by and about African Americans. A community resource center for the exchange of information and ideas. Sisters’ motto is “knowledge is key”. Sisters provide an educational, emotional, spiritual and loving environment for diverse community where all are welcome.
For all inquires including access support: [email protected]