Create Change Institute is a virtual, 2-day intensive version of The Laundromat Project’s 6-month Create Change Fellowship Program. This workshop trains participants in meaningful collaboration with communities on shared creative projects while addressing social issues and using a racial justice lens.
Create Change Institute (CCI) is for artists, activists, advocates, administrators, organizers, cultural workers, and change makers. We invite anyone interested in developing or deepening their collaborative, community centered, and culturally-based creative practices to participate. The curriculum will include practical tools as well as experiential skill building.
For questions, inquiries, or to request financial assistance to cover registration fees, please contact us at [email protected]omatproject.org. Thank you!
SCHEDULE & TUITION
Day 1: December 9, 10am–4pm EST
Day 2: December 16, 10am–4pm EST
Schedule will include a one-hour lunch break each day
Attendance for Organization-Supported Individuals – $300
Attendance for Individuals – $100
CURRICULUM AND AGENDA
Learning Block: Centering People of Color
- Unpacking race, power, and privilege
- People of Color worldview
Learning Block: Making Art
- Cultural organizing principles and strategies
Learning Block: Building Community
- Defining community
- Community rhythms & community care as tenets
- Deep listening and community stories as tools for liberation
Learning Block: Creating Change
- Influencing and shaping one’s context using arts and culture
- Learning from practicing artists
CCI 2022 will be held virtually as a Zoom meeting. Meetings are designed to be collaborative, with participants encouraged to turn on their video and audio and see who else is in attendance. We highly encourage participants to use a computer or a tablet device to have fuller experience and engage in the workshop.
Breakout Rooms and Participation
Breakout rooms (smaller discussion groups that are separate from the main Zoom session) may be used during this event. Participation in breakout rooms would be required when and if used.
CCI will be captioned using Artificial Intelligence (AI) generated live transcription.
By participating in this intensive, participants will:
- Deepen their knowledge, skills, and tools regarding a praxis (learning + doing) where community-attuned art making and change is central
- Increase their practical capacity to engage in reciprocal community collaborations, using arts and culture, with an analysis of power and joy
- Possess a greater sense of community among diverse cultural workers committed to making art, building community, and creating change