Sustaining Neighborhoods: Reading List
April 4, 2014
In case you’ve been following our past few blog posts, newly posted articles are at the top, while articles we’ve already posted are re-listed below.
Reports on NYC Housing & Policy
- Real Affordability: An Evaluation of the Bloomberg Housing Program and Recommendations to Strengthen Existing Housing Policy. The Association for Housing and Neighborhood Development.
- State of New York City’s Housing and Neighborhoods. Furman Center for Housing and Policy.
- What is Affordable Housing? Handbook by Center for Urban Pedagogy (PDF).
- 20 Ways Not to be a Gentrifier in Oakland. Dannette Lambert, Oakland Local.
- Borough Presidents Lay Out Development Plans. Chris Bragg, Crain’s New York.
- Food Co-ops in Gentrifying Areas Find They Aren’t to Every Taste. Vivian Yee, The New York Times.
- For Spot in Artists’ Loft, Impress a Critic: the City. Sharon Otterman, The New York Times.
- From Meat Shop to Mixed-Use Complex. Terry Pristin, The New York Times.
- Gentrification a ‘Malignant Tumor’ in Poor Communities, Congressman Says. Paul deBenedetto, DNAInfo.
- Governor Cuomo Announces Plan to Provide More Than $2 Billion in Tax Relief to New York’s Families and Businesses. State of New York Press Office.
- Keeping the Public in Public Housing. Tom Angotti and Sylvia Morse, the Hunter College Center for Community Planning and Development (PDF).
- Smith Houses: A Legacy of Activism. Sarika Bansal, Urban Omnibus.
- The Truly Affordable New York Apartment. Ronda Kayson, The New York Times.
- There Is No Sweet Spot for Displacement: A Response to “Is Gentrification All Bad”? Andrew Padilla (director of El Barrio Tours).
- Trickle-Down Gentrification. Karen Narefsky, Jacobin Magazine.
- Is Harlem ‘Good’ Now? Marcus Samuelsson, The New York Times.
- Gentrifying into the Shelters. Ginia Bellafante, The New York Times.
- Gentrification May Actually Be Boon to Longtime Residents. Laura Sullivan, NPR.
- Why Gentrification is So Hard to Stop. James Frank Dy Zarsadiaz, The Atlantic Cities.
- PUSHED OUT: The Hidden Costs of Gentrification: Displacement and Homelessness, Report by The Institute for Children & Poverty (PDF)
- Bed-Stuy Residents Not Happy With State Of Their City Christopher Robbins, Gothamist
- Are Artists to Blame for Gentrification? Ben Davis, Slate.
- In East Williamsburg, Artist-Studio Leases Create Woes, and Some Winners. Corinna Kirsch, Art F City
- Watch NYC Gentrify Through Google Street View GIFs. Jen Chung, Gothamist.
- The Artist Community on Gentrification: Q & A with Justin Blinder, More Art.
- Last Artist Standing. Julia Halperin, BKLYNR.