Getting Started as a People Mover for the 2017 People Powered Challenge
Here’s how to get started as a People Mover (takes less than 5 minutes!)
1. Your Personal Online People Mover Page
2. Customizing Your Profile (2 minutes)
3. Updating your fundraising goal (takes less than 2 minutes)
4. Confirming your online donation page url (10 seconds)
Step One: Your Personal Online People Mover Page
- Click and Pledge Connect is our peer to peer fundraising platform that you’ll use to collect online donations and track your progress toward your fundraising goal in one place. Visit this link.
- Setting up your login takes less than 30 seconds. Hint: It’s quickest to click on the login with Facebook, Gmail or Yahoo options. If you already signed up and forgot your password or have trouble resetting, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to send you a new password.
- Click on the button.
- Update an image of yourself or an avatar photo. Hint: If you signed up through Facebook, the photo is automatically your fb profile picture.
- If you want to change the name that appears on your page, enter your new name into the fields under “edit your fundraiser profile.”
- Once you are done, click on “submit changes” to save and then click on “back to fundraiser page.”
- Now click on
- Update your fundraising goal dollar amount. We suggest $100 as your minimum starting amount, but please pick an amount you’re comfortable with raising and confident that you will exceed (even it’s less than $100).
- In a very short paragraph (500 characters or less, less than 100 words), write no more than 5 short sentences explaining why you’re fundraising for the People-Powered Challenge 2017. You can also copy this paragraph if you don’t want to write your own:
“Like The Laundromat Project, I believe creativity is a powerful force for social transformation! Arts and culture change how we see and live in the world by challenging us to think in new ways and opening up new possibilities of connection with our neighbors. The LP works with socially-minded artists, but also believes in the creative potential of everyone. Their work aims to ignite and amplify the astounding creativity that’s already present in our communities.”
- Now scroll down and click on the green campaign box under the tab that says “campaign” and click on
- When you’re on your fundraising page, simply copy the url at the top of your screen. Your URL will be something like this: https://connect.clickandpledge.com/Organization/laundromatproject/campaign/ppc2017/fundraiser/[firstnamelastname]
- Use this url to share your fundraising page with your networks.
- Feel free to use bitly or another link shortening service to get a shortlink for Twitter and other platforms if you need to.
You count toward your own People Mover goal so be the first to make a donation of any amount to your campaign. If you’re competing for prizes, note that your first donation counts toward your total.
- Enter an amount you’re comfortable donating to your own campaign:
- Fill out the rest of the form and click submit. Congrats, you just raised your first donation as a People Mover!
- Please hold on to your non-online donations, and enter them into this form OR send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Offline Donation for [YOUR NAME]” and include the first and last name, email address, and amount for each check or cash donation you received. *We’ll be entering the offline donations and crediting them to your fundraising page.
- Checks can be made out to “The Laundromat Project.”
- Collect your offline donations during the 10 days and drop them off at the address below after November 6.
People Mover Toolkit: Now let’s get start with asking for donations!
1. Identify people you know from different groups/networks you are part of (family, friends, neighbors, work, school/alumni network, volunteer groups, church, artist residencies, etc). We suggest starting with listing 10+ more people than your goal so you’ll get the number of people you’re aiming for to donate to your campaign. Feel free to use this worksheet to help you plan: Worksheet- Who Do You Know-
2. Decide which forms of communication you are going to use to ask people to donate: phone call, text, social media DMs and posts, email, hosting a party, doorknocking, etc. You can choose whatever strategy works best for you!
Links to share:
Go to: https://connect.clickandpledge.com/Organization/laundromatproject/campaign/ppc2017/
Click on your fundraising page from the list of fundraisers on the right and simply copy the url at the top of your screen. Your URL will be something like this: https://connect.clickandpledge.com/Organization/laundromatproject/campaign/ppc2017/fundraiser/[firstnamelastname]
Use this url to share your fundraising page with your networks.
Feel free to use bitly or another link shortening service to get a shortlink for Twitter and other platforms if you need to.
Use bitly to shorten your link for twitter:
For your post
Update the banner on your profile
- How do we build community thru the arts? Donate in support of @Laundromatproj’s recipe for change #PeoplePoweredChallenge: [link]
- Donate to the @laundromatproj’s #PeoplePoweredChallenge to support artists and neighbors in NYC doing responsive creative community work: [link]
*Be sure to update the link in your bio with a link to your campaign page*
The Laundromat Project @laundromat_proj is a #PeoplePowered nonprofit arts organization committed to building community resiliency, amplifying stories, and imaging more for our futures through working with #CreativeCatalysts, artist and everyday people who are #PropelledbyLove and #CommunityCentered. Donate now to help them raise $40K by Nov 6! Check out the link in my bio.
*Tag the Laundromat Project when you post by typing “@TheLaundromatProject”*
The Laundromat Project @TheLaundromatProject a #PeoplePowered nonprofit arts organization committed to building community resiliency, amplifying stories, and imaging more for our futures through working with #CreativeCatalysts, artist and everyday people who are #PropelledbyLove and #CommunityCentered. Donate now to help them raise $40K by Nov 6! Check out the link in my bio.
Hi [Name]. How are you? Will you support The Laundromat Project’s (The LP) annual People-Powered Challenge by helping me reach my personal fundraising goal of $__ between October 28-November 6. They are an awesome arts nonprofit working at the intersection of arts, community, and social justice and supporting artists and neighbors in NYC to make change, which is why I’m helping them raise $40,000 in 10 days. [hyperlink this text to your fundraising page url]
How are you? Can you join me in support of The Laundromat Project’s (The LP) annual People-Powered Challenge between October 28-November 6 by [hyperlink this text to your fundraising page url: “helping me reach my personal fundraising goal of $__ with a donation of $___”]. I believe in their work at the intersection of arts, community, and social justice, which is why I’m helping them raise $40,000 in 10 days.
For over 10 years, The LP has supported #CreativeCatalysts—artists and neighbors in NYC–with space, resources, and dedicated time so they can use art and creativity as they are #PropelledByLove to celebrate their communities and address social justice issues (learn more about projects they’ve supported and creative community leaders they’ve trained).
Recent events around immigrant rights, civil rights, housing rights, and (un)natural catastrophes continue to impact many in the communities to which The LP is connected—only making their mission and #PeoplePowered work more critical in these times.
Your donation will count toward $40,000 raised to help The LP support the following:
15 Create Change Fellows to become creative community leaders
5 socially-engaged artist projects in 3 or more neighborhoods in NYC
A whole year of workshops and art programs at our Kelly Street Collaborative space in Hunts Point/Longwood South Bronx
Public workshops, performances, and events we bring to neighbors in Bed-Stuy, Harlem, and Hunts Point/Longwood
Why are we highlighting #PropelledByLove, #PeoplePowered, #CreativeCatalysts, and #CommunityCentered? These are the 4 ingredients (values) that have guided The LP’s recipe for creative community change.
[hyperlink this text to your fundraising page url: Will you support us by making donation before November 6?] Let me know if you have any questions.